It is extremely important to always keep an eye on our children, whenever and wherever it may be. This is because their young minds still cannot fully understand everything around them and they are also eager to try out new things that seem interesting to their eyes.
Following the sad news of a two-year-old kid named Jake, who was holding a metal spoon when he suddenly inserted it into an electrical outlet which later resulted in him being electrocuted and eventually led to his untimely death, parents are sharing their own inexpensive way of protecting children from potential electrocution.
Take, for instance, this mom named Jonina Cubillo Espinosa, who shares how she recycles the resealable parts of wet wipes that she often uses to clean up her baby. She takes out this part from the empty packaging and sticks them to electrical outlets inside their home so it can serve as a lid.
The improvised lid now becomes secures the outlets when no one is using it. The recycled resealable parts serve as a seal for the otherwise open outlets and thus protect not just children but also adults from touching the outlets directly with their bare hands.
Another one who shared an innovative way of protecting children from electrocution is this Facebook page called, Riri’s World. Through a post, the said page introduced a product called “plug covers.” These are small pieces of plastic that resemble the shape of a male plug and are used to cover the otherwise open parts of an electrical outlet.
It is unfortunate that something like this has to happen first for us to be aware of the danger of these open outlets inside our homes. However, may this sad news be a warning and a lesson for parents out there to always, always keep an eye on their children because no matter how “safe” we may think the environment may be, there are still things that may happen beyond our control.