Teenagers or more commonly known as ‘millennials’ these days have that undying urge to be near phones, computers or other electronic devices. Some can tolerate this urge while others cannot control themselves at all. And in worst-case scenarios, this addiction often leads to misfortune.
Just like in the case of a teenager in Thailand. Piyawat Harikun, 17, collapsed and died at his computer after having all-night gaming sessions during his school holidays.
Piyawat had broken up from classes towards the end of October – using the free time to stay in his room on multiplayer battle games on his PC.
According to New Straits Times, his parents said he would stay up all night then draw the curtains in the day to continue his fixation with gaming, spending hours on the computer at their home in Udon Thani, northern Thailand.
Matters even worsen that they would even take food to his room and urge him to stop playing, but he refused to cut down on his obsession. Piyawat’s father Jaranwit, went to the bedroom one afternoon and found his son collapsed from the computer chair and was slumped against a PC tower on the floor. The boy was not moving anymore. There was a pile of takeaway boxes on the desk and a bottle of fizzy pop at his feet, while his headphones were resting on top of another computer tower.
Jaranwit, an air force officer, said he tried to revive his son but he was already dead. He said: “I called his name and said ‘wake up, wake up’ but he did not respond. I could see he was dead.”
Medics who examined the body a few moments after he was found said the teenager died from a stroke, which they believe was caused by playing the computer constantly through the night. Jaranwit admitted that his son was a gaming addict and warned other parents not to allow their children to become hooked on the games.
He said: “My son was smart and always did great at school but he had a major problem with gaming addiction. I tried to warn him about his relentless long hours playing games and he promised to reduce it, but it was too late. He had already died before he had a chance to change.”
“I want my son’s death to be an example and warning for parents whose children are game addicts. They need to be more strict on their children’s playing hours, otherwise, they could end up like my son, he added.”
The boy’s body was taken from the hospital to a nearby Buddhist temple where his devastated father was waiting to arrange a funeral.
May this unfortunate event serve as a lesson for other parents out there to always be wary of what their children are doing. It is better to be a strict parent than end up regretting when the life of a child can no longer be revived.