Woman dies after falling on a metal straw that pierced through her eyes

Nowadays, the use of metal straws or any types of eco-friendly straws are being encouraged by advocates of climate change as this practice alone can be a big decrease in the non-biodegradable substances we throw to the surroundings every single day. However, who would have thought that these supposed environment-saving materials can pose harm to a person as well?

Elena Struthers-Gardner, 60, reportedly suffered horrific brain injuries at her home in Broadstone, Poole, Dorset. She was carrying a mason jar glass with a screw-top lid into her kitchen when she collapsed and the stainless steel straw impaled her left eye socket, stabbing her brain. Elena was rushed to Southampton General Hospital.

According to The Telegraph, her wife Mandy Struthers-Gardner said in a statement read out in court: “I slid the glass off the straw and turned her over. I could see the straw had gone through her left eye. I was quickly informed that due to the severity of her injury it was very unlikely she would survive. We saw a couple of specialists and were told there was nothing they could do.”

Image by Bruno Glätsch from Pixabay

 

Elena’s life support was switched off, and she died the next day. Dr. David Parham said the straw pierced ‘through her left eyelid and left eyeball’. DI Wayne Seymour said the case was very unusual. Medical staff had never seen an injury like that.

 

Although the metal drinking straws have increased in popularity to replace single-use plastic straws, they should never be used with a lid that fixes them in place. Yes, there may be advantages to it but we should also never forget to take extra caution while we are using them.