Baby hopelessly fights for life after catching herpes virus from a kiss at christening

We have been warned. All over social media and medical practitioners have repeatedly given all of us warnings about the dangers of the so-called herpes virus. Yet again, another case of a victim is now gaining attention.

Noah Tindle was just four-weeks-old when his mum, Ashleigh White, noticed her son’s right eye was swollen, blistered and was watering.

After seeking medical advice in September last year, Noah was rushed to the hospital and was quickly diagnosed with Herpes simplex virus 1 (HSV-1) – known as the ‘kiss of death’.


HSV-1 is more commonly known as the cold sore virus which isn’t harmful to adults but can kill babies. The virus can spread to babies brains and cause organ failure – which is why Noah was left fighting for his life.

Doctors told devastated Ashleigh her newborn baby was likely to have caught the virus through an infected adult kissing his face, causing him to almost lose the sight in one eye.

The 21-year-old mum guessed it had been contracted at a christening the family had attended together just five days before. Noah – who is now nine-months-old – spent two-and-a-half months in the hospital recovering.

Despite relapsing in March this year, he’s currently hitting all his milestones as he continues a course of antiviral medication due to finish in 2020.

Ashleigh, a phone sales agent from Barnsley, South Yorkshire, said: “He was only four-weeks-old when he contracted herpes in his eye. We went to a christening where friends were holding and kissing him – it could have been any of them.”

On her part, Ashleigh wants to make more people aware of the risks and consequences of kissing a baby, especially a newborn when you suffer from cold sores as she knows how heartbreaking it can be seeing your baby in a poor condition.

When Noah was first seen by a health visitor they suggested his irritated eye was due to a blocked tear duct and said it would clear up by itself.

“Noah didn’t have any high temperature, he was still eating as he should and lots of wet nappies so nothing to make me think that he wasn’t well,” his mom said. in an interview with Mirror.

“But a few days later, I noticed he had some blisters appear around his eye and I’d read something on Facebook about another baby having the virus and the blisters looking the exact same. What I didn’t realize, is that even if you don’t have an active cold sore, you still do carry the virus in your system and saliva, meaning you can never be too careful,” she added.

So, she immediately took him to the doctors who said he suspected something else after me raising concerns of it being HSV. The doctor referred the baby to Barnsley Hospital children’s ward where he underwent multiple tests and was given injections and antibiotics.

“After I persisted that it was definitely HSV they started treating him for it and a few days later the test came back positive for HSV-1,” she continued.

“The virus was on his eyelid, but we managed to catch it before it could enter the bloodstream, but he couldn’t open his eyes for days.”

After six months of taking prophylactic antiviral, the virus caused a break out in March, meaning Noah will need at least another nine months of the drug.

“We still have a long way to go yet before we’re out of the dark and still continuously having checkups with his doctors and ophthalmologists, but after our appointment with his doctor yesterday he is happy that Noah is well and happy, so it’s good to know you’re doing something right. I was lucky enough to catch it in time and still have my little boy here with me today, but some might not be that lucky,” Ashleigh continued.

Ashleigh is now relieved that Noah is slowly recovering from the deadly sickness and she is now sharing their story so everyone may also become aware of the dangers of HSV – especially to innocent babies. HSV is preventable, let us all help Ashleigh in giving everyone the information about this extremely dangerous disease. Share this post to save a life.